Ph.D. Program Bologna Information Package
Computer Engineering M.Sc. Program was founded in 2011.
Level of the Degree
Doctorate (Third Level)
The goal of the program is to educate highly active scientists who can conduct authentic research studies in the field of Computer Science and Engineering.
Graduates will be scientists with theoretical and practical background that is sufficient to conduct advanced researches in the field of computer and computing systems, information analysis and advanced computer architecture, and who are capable of developing productive and creative solutions that are crucial in design and implementation projects.
Ph.D. Program Outcomes
Computer Engineering Ph.D. Program graduates are expected to have the following qualifications:
- Ability to understand and use basic sciences, mathematics and engineering sciences in a high level.
- Possession of wide and deep knowledge in the field of Computer Science and Engineering, including the latest developments.
- Ability to reach the new information in the field of Computer Science and Engineering and having high-level competence in necessary methods and skills to make the research by apprehending the new information.
- Ability to bring an innovation that provides different initiatives to the field of Computer Engineering; develop a new approach, method, design, application or apply a present method in a different field.
- Ability to perceive an original research process independently, and design, implement, conclude and lead the process.
- Ability to contribute to the literature by publishing the whole scientific research and development efforts he/she has carried out in the field of expertise.
- Ability to comprehend scientific, technological, social and cultural developments, and convey them to society with scientific impartiality and ethical responsibility.
- Ability to do critical analysis, synthesis and evaluation of ideas and developments in the field of Computer Engineering.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written ways with the employees in the area of Computer Engineering and wider scientific and social communities, to communicate and discuss in advanced level of written, oral and visual ways by using a foreign language in at least European Language Portfolio C1 General Level.
- Ability to evaluate scientific, technological, social and cultural developments and to transmit these developments to society with scientific objectivity and a sense of ethic responsibility.
Teaching and Learning Methods
Teaching and learning methods are selected so as to improve students’ skills such as self study, lifelong learning, observation, teaching, presentation, critical thinking, teamwork, effective usage of information technology.
Furthermore, special attention is paid to ensure that the teaching methods can support students of different skillsets.
|Teaching -Learning Method||Major Learning Activities||
|Lecture||Listening and comprehension||Standard classroom technologies, multimedia tools|
|Laboratory||Designing, implementing and testing experiments, teamwork||Computers and experiment devices|
|Problem solving||Listening and discussion||Standard classroom technologies|
|Homework||Research, lifelong learning||Textbook, classroom notes, internet|
|Seminar||Research – lifelong learning, writing, reading, information technology, listening and comprehension, management skills||Standard classroom technologies, multimedia tools|
When the program is successfully completed and the program qualifications are met, Ph.D. degree is awarded in the field of Computer Engineering.
In order to apply for the graduate program, candidates are required to have a M.Sc. degree or to be able get a M.Sc. degree until the end of the application period. Candidates who meet the application criteria given below will be able to start the program.
- ALES score of at least 55 or GRE (Quantitative Reasoning) score must be at least 149.
- YDS score of at least 55 or TOEFL score of at least 66(IBT) or IELTS score of at least 6.5. All the applicants must prove their proficiency in English with a certificate or pass the English proficiency exam given by Yeditepe University before the interview.
- Candidates are required to pass the oral interview of the program they have applied.
Employment Opportunities for the Alumni and Transition to the Higher Level
Wide range of R&D positions and academic career opportunities are available for the alumni.
Examination Regulations, Assessment and Grading
There are measurement and evaluation methods such as exams (mid-term exams, quizzes, final), experiment, homework, project etc. Details are available in course information packages for each course.
Curriculum consists of 8 courses and CSE 700 Doctorate Thesis.
Candidates must complete 7 courses (21 credits), CSE 690 Research Seminar course, and CSE 700 PhD Thesis study in order to finish the PhD program. One of the seven courses is compulsory “Research Methodologies” course. Remaining six courses are elective. At least 4 of the elective courses must be CSE5XX/6XX.
Scientific Preparation Courses
|CSE 211||Data Structures||4||6|
|CSE 221||Principles of Logic Design||4||6|
|CSE 224||Introduction to Digital Systems||4||6|
|CSE 232||Systems Programming||3||6|
|CSE 354||Automata Theory and Formal Languages||3||6|
|MATH 154||Discrete Mathematics||3||7|
|CSE 690||Doctoral Research Seminar||0||2|
|CSE 691||Qualifying Exam Preparation||0||30|
|CSE 700||PhD Dissertation||0||120|
Address, Program Director and ECTS Coordinator Contact Information
Bilgisayar Mühendisliği Anabilim Dalı Başkanlığı
Prof. Sezer Gören UĞURDAĞ
Tel: 216 578 0420
Assist. Prof. Tacha SERİF
Tel: 216 578 0470